With the invitation from Ben Weissman for the June month of T-SQL Tuesday, here are some of my thoughts about Hybrid world. Thanks Ben for hosting this month of T-SQL Tuesday!
With the increasing amount of data in our databases, handling the resources might get tough. Many shops currently have their databases spread across different environments like on-premises and on the cloud. While they plan to completely move their data into the cloud, process might be not easy if they are dealing with lot of data across different datacenters. That’s when the Azure Arc data services can really help manage all of these in a single secure location. We can manage SQL managed instances, Postgres SQL instances or in any other public cloud in one single panel. We can run this on our infrastructure or in any other public cloud.
Azure Arc data services in SQL
For the companies who are on-premises, Azure Arc provides the latest technologies like the evergreen SQL which means there will be no end of support for their old versions of databases. This technology provides continuous automatic updates and the features supporting databases. This will help in the capacity optimization and scale-out smoothly for the data workloads on-premises databases with no application downtime.
I did not yet had a chance to work with the companies using the hybrid environments. That doesn’t have to limit me from learning these amazing technologies Microsoft has to offer. I already started my learning journey with Azure Arc data services. It is a bit overwhelming to understand everything at once as there is so much to learn about this new technology. It is never too late to begin the learning. As many companies started moving to cloud, its never too late to improve the skills. With this T-SQL Tuesday invitation from Ben, I started learning about the Azure Arc data services. Here are the list of resources I am following and plan to follow to get started with Azure Arc data services, Kubernetes and Big data clusters:
- Big Data Clusters for the Absolute Beginner: Thank you Mohammad Darab for this amazing introduction session to Big Data Clusters. Am sure you are going to give a big kudos to Darab after watching this session. It’s that Amazing! Also, don’t forget to look at the playlist from Darab youtube channel focusing on Big Data clusters.
- Azure Arc-enabled Data Services: The Big Picture: This is an excellent 52 minute course by Ben Weissman which I definitely recommend to watch if you wanted to get the overview and start the journey with Azure Arc enabled data services learning. I watched this course yesterday and I love it.
- Microsoft Learn: Microsoft offers free training. Customize the path you wanted to learn and start the learning journey. Also, you can get free Azure account for free worth of $200 credit for a month to get hands on experience.
- Azure Arc-Enabled Data Services Revealed: Here is the link to the book written by Ben Weissman and Anthony E. Nocentino who are specialized in this area. Understand the core concepts of Kubernetes, fundamentals and architecture of Azure Arc-enabled data services and get in-depth knowledge on these concepts.
- Microsoft Azure: Youtube channel for free Microsoft Azure trainings
I hope these above resources will be helpful to you in starting your Hybrid learning journey 🙂
I would like to learn from other SQL professionals about their journey in the Hybrid world!
Thanks for reading!